Saving Plants for next year

Fall frosts may kill your tender plants that are not protected. I have Hibiscus plants alive  that I purchased at Frank's Nursery and they closed years ago. Winter is sure to do them in. Some are worth the effort to save.



How you ask? I bring them into the basement for the winter. They will survive under 4 foot fluorescent lights. The bulbs should be mixed cool/warm white etc. Grow light bulbs are over rated and too expensive for most people but are great if you can afford them. I rig the lights to hang from wire so I can adjust the height as needed.  12 hours of light is my standard up until March when I start increasing the light to match the current day light hours. I have also kept them alive in an unheated attached garage. Some winters it is mild enough to get by with this tactic.

All I try to do is keep them alive. I do not need them to prosper as this just makes more work for me. What have I had good luck with keeping alive ?

Hibiscus , Ferns, Geraniums, Crossandra,  Impatiens, Gerber Daisies, Begonias. Plus many others too numerous to list.

Many of these are kept in the same pots year after year and treated to a soil change in the spring. I remove the bottom couple of inches and outside also. Supplying new soil and room to expand. Some plants, such as Lantana, are dug up and placed in a pot to over winter in. The top must be pruned as severely as the roots were if they are to have a chance of survival.

The Impatiens, Geraniums and Begonias will all be duplicated as spring approaches. Please inquire if you need to know how to do this with these plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment